Reports to: CEO
Classification: Unpaid intern
Project Period: Summer 2018
The Youth Governance Intern will provide critical background information, analysis, and recommendations to SHIFT NC’s leadership regarding incorporation of youth input and guidance into the operations of SHIFT NC consistent with our new strategic plan. This will include providing background for a recommendation about whether, and if so how, SHIFT NC might pursue a youth governance strategy. During the summer of 2018, the intern will review various youth input, leadership, and governance models used by other organizations and will interview staff members about current youth advisory councils and staff views on youth governance. The intern will prepare a summary of approaches with pros and cons specific to SHIFT, and in consultation with SHIFT’s CEO and leadership team, will prepare recommendations for the SHIFT NC Board of Directors.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Become familiar with SHIFT NC’s structure and its current and recent use of youth advisory councils.
- Identify and review youth leadership and governance models from other organizations, including organizations similar and dissimilar to SHIFT NC. Speak with representatives of select organizations to understand process and impact of youth governance in their settings.
- Interview SHIFT NC staff to understand staff ideas and perspectives on youth governance, especially relative to SHIFT NC’s new strategic plan and theory of change.
- Develop recommendations for types of youth input, leadership, and governance that SHIFT NC might pursue, and specific models of youth governance for SHIFT NC.
- Present recommendations to staff.
- Contribute to a presentation on the results of the analysis of youth input, leadership, and governance models for the SHIFT NC Board of Directors.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Able to communicate with strong written and oral skills in an easily-understood and tactful manner to multiple audiences.
- Able to work with people from all backgrounds and with varying skill sets.
- Creativity and innovation to solve problems and overcome challenges.
- Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Able to work in a general office environment.
- Committed to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
Education and Background:
- Rising seniors in high school or college student.
- Demonstrated ability to research an issue, synthesize information, and present recommendations.
- This is an unpaid internship.
- The intern is responsible for providing any required paperwork necessary for school credit.
- The intern is expected to work at least 2 days a week in the SHIFT NC office in Durham, NC, to be exposed to the organization and its staff. SHIFT NC will provide office space.
About SHIFT NC: SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we've expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care. Learn more at shiftnc.org.
SHIFT NC offers equal opportunity to and prohibits the discrimination against or harassment of anyone based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, handicapping condition, or other reasons prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, and participation in any of the organizations programs or services.