TITLE: Quality Improvement Specialist
EEO STATUS: Full-Time (40 hours/week), Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Clinic Improvement Services
About SHIFT NC:
SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After over 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we have expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, or other reasons prohibited by law (referred to as "protected status"). This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, use of all company facilities, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, participation in any of the organizations programs or services and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits and termination of employment.
SHIFT NC is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages applications from candidates with all lived experiences and backgrounds.
Primary Purpose of Position:
The Quality Improvement Specialist will facilitate practice improvement processes with the Alamance Youth Connected (AYC) initiative, a project aimed at reducing teen pregnancy, teen birth and STI rates by 5% in Alamance County by 2023, and Fee for Service (FFS) contracts. The QI Specialist’s efforts will focus on coordinating initiative and state-wide collaborations and advancing health care access and access to effective contraception. The QI Specialist will provide technical assistance and training on best practices for high quality adolescent care. Will also utilize systems-thinking and systems-change strategies to work with clinics and community-based programs to strengthen a referral and linking network to those health centers in initiative community.
- Develop and maintain relationships with health care centers, senior health center leaders and key staff.
- Work with health center leaders in prioritizing focus of improvement efforts and effectively and efficiently implementing improvement efforts.
- Plan, deliver, coordinate, and monitor training and technical assistance to health centers.
- Identify, develop and maintain systems for collecting and reporting key data and information in collaboration with Evaluation Specialist and health center staff.
- Ensure that initiative partners fully complete evaluation related activities and that they are submitted in a timely manner in collaboration with Evaluation Specialist.
- Organize regular internal team meetings with health centers to review data and progress towards improvement goals and to address any current or outstanding evaluation tasks.
- Attend initiative community meetings and partner meetings.
- Create and maintain linkages between youth serving systems and health centers in initiative community.
- In collaboration with Program Specialists, plan and deliver trainings to youth-serving organizations to build referral and linking capacity.
- Review clinic data to make recommendations to partners and/or AYC Program Manager for overall clinic project-level improvement.
- Support AYC Program Manager and Director of Programs with reports for funders and stakeholders.
- Update initiative work plan in collaboration with AYC Program Manager on a regular basis to ensure initiative clinic-linking goals and deliverables are being met.
- In collaboration with AYC Program Manager, publish and/or present work of initiative at local, state and national conferences and in peer-reviewed journals and other publications.
- Develop and maintain systems to collect, report, and use data related to youth-serving organization’s referral capacity with initiative Evaluation Specialist.
- Identify, guide and facilitate quality improvement efforts i.e. Fee-for-Service.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Serve as a facilitator on the training cadre.
- Work evenings, weekends and in-state and out-of-state travel as necessary, up to 25%.
- Ability to expertly represent what continuous improvement looks like and why we should pursue it.
- Ability to lead groups in building continuous improvement systems that enable them to achieve desired results.
- Ability to plan, manage, and monitor quality improvement activities in a health care setting.
- Ability to plan and direct the work of health center staff and internal teams.
- Ability to motivate, coach, and support partners to reach benchmark targets.
- Ability to plan and deliver training to adult-learners.
- Ability to quickly absorb new content, and to adapt it for multiple purposes and audiences.
- Ability to collaborate with other training and youth-serving organizations.
- Ability to build and sustain relationships with partners.
- Ability to work with people from all backgrounds and with varying skill sets.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently and organize and prioritize work.
- Ability to anticipate challenges and take initiative to address emerging or priority concerns and communicate partner progress updates, special needs and concerns as they arise and collaborate with Program Manager to propose alternatives to address problems.
- Ability to shift resources and priorities as required.
- Ability to be resourceful, innovative, creative and exercise initiative to anticipate and overcome any barriers with initiative partners and to collaborate with Program Manager to facilitate progress towards project goals.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data to make quality improvement suggestions to partners.
- Operate independently and with minimal direction.
- Creativity and innovation to tackle problems and overcome challenges.
- Good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Flexible, adaptive, and team-oriented.
- Strong commitment to SHIFT NC’s mission and vision.
- Welcomes, recognizes and appreciates others’ suggestions, points of view and contributions while working to create a work environment that is inclusive and collaborative.
- Commitment to working as part of a team to achieve group goals.
- Actively participates in collaborative efforts while demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
- Advanced relevant degree preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience using quality improvement strategies, preferably in a clinic setting.
- Experience in teen pregnancy prevention, sexual health, or related field.
- Experience working with or in health care settings, experience with Title X settings preferred.
- Experience providing guidance on data collection, interpretation, and evaluation.
- Experience providing training to adult learners (e.g. health care staff, health educators, social workers, and other youth serving professionals).
- Experience working with diverse community members and groups.
- Knowledge of best practices for adolescent reproductive health services.
- Knowledge of the administration, financing, and organization of clinical services.
- Knowledge of quality improvement strategies and approaches.
- Data analysis and interpretation skills.
- Knowledge of systems-thinking and systems-change frameworks and approaches to drive organizational and/or community-wide change.
SHIFT NC values the work our employees provide to our communities. To show our appreciation, in addition to compensation, we pay 100% for the employee’s portion of their health insurance premium. In addition, we offer a health savings account, dental, and life insurance. We provide access to a Simple IRA as well as vacation, holiday and sick days.
Please read here for more about our values and points of unity: http://www.shiftnc.org/about/mission
Salary: $49,000-$52,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Duration: This position is funded until June 30, 2023, contingent upon availability of funding.
Location: Durham, NC. Please note that SHIFT NC employees are working remotely due to COVID-19 to prioritize employee safety and well-being. Employees will return to office-based work when conditions allow.
Start Date: By November 2, 2020
Submit cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Posting open through Monday, September 21, 2020. Please submit cover letter and resume by 11:59pm on September 21st.
No phone calls or email inquiries please.
Please note due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines, in-person interviews will be replaced with video conference interviews.