TITLE: Program Specialist
EEO STATUS: Full-Time (40 hours/week), Exempt
REPORTS TO: Program Manager
About SHIFT NC: SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After over 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we have expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, or other reasons prohibited by law (referred to as "protected status"). This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, use of all company facilities, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, participation in any of the organizations programs or services and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits and termination of employment.
SHIFT NC is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages applications from candidates with all lived experiences and backgrounds.
Primary Purpose of Position: The Program Specialist will provide ongoing program support and coordination for the an initiative aimed at reducing community-wide teen pregnancy, teen birth and STI rates. The Program Specialist will provide ongoing technical assistance (TA) and training on implementing evidence-based programs with fidelity to organizations, schools, school districts and school systems, assist with monitoring and evaluation, and manage assigned day-to-day operations according to project requirements. The on-going technical assistance follows all steps of the Getting to Outcomes (GTO) program planning framework. The Program Specialist will also utilize systems-thinking and systems-change strategies to work to build system-wide school support, integrate initiative’s prevention strategies, improve access to quality reproductive health care services, and strengthen linkages to available health care services in the target communities.
- Work closely with Program Manager, Evaluation Specialist, and initiative staff to ensure effective implementation of initiative and evidence-based programs in schools and the community.
- Contribute to partnership development and engagement and maintain cooperative relationships with school and community partners.
- Assist and support community and school personnel and school leaders in integrating evidence-based sexual health/pregnancy prevention programs and best practice prevention strategies into their respective settings.
- Provide coaching and technical assistance to school and community partners to ensure that evidence-based programs are implemented with fidelity, evaluated, monitored for continuous quality improvement and sustained.
- Provide coaching and technical assistance to schools and community partners on integrating systems-thinking and systems-change strategies at their respective organizations.
- Coordinate and facilitate professional development and curricula trainings for school and community partners.
- Update initiative work plan in collaboration with Program Manager on a regular basis to ensure initiative goals and deliverables are being met.
- Support Evaluation Specialist with program evaluation efforts including sharing pre- and post-test participant survey results with school partners and making continuous quality program improvements.
- Attend initiative community meetings and partner meetings.
- Review program and initiative level data to make recommendations to partners and/or Program Manager.
- Support Program Manager and Director of Programs with reports for funders and stakeholders.
- Keep abreast of effective and best practice teen pregnancy and STI prevention strategies that target youth, marginalized youth, schools and communities.
- In collaboration with Program Manager, publish and/or present work of initiative at local, state and national conferences and in peer-reviewed journals and other publications.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional groups.
- Serve as a trainer/facilitator on the training cadre for SHIFT NC trainings.
- Assists with other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Work evenings, weekends and in-state and out-of-state travel as necessary, up to 25%.
- Ability to plan and benchmark multiple tasks and communicate to Program Manager progress updates, special needs and concerns as they arise and propose alternatives to address problems
- Ability to communicate with strong written and oral skills with diverse audiences to increase public understanding of sensitive health topics.
- Ability to communicate partner progress updates, special needs and concerns as they arise and collaborate with Program Manager to propose alternatives to address problems.
- Ability to be resourceful, innovative, creative and exercise initiative to anticipate and overcome any barriers with project partners and to collaborate with Program Manager to facilitate progress towards project goals.
- Ability to analyze and interpret data to make quality improvement suggestions to partners.
- Strong commitment to SHIFT NC’s mission and vision.
- Welcomes, recognizes and appreciates others’ suggestions, points of view and contributions while working to create a work environment that is inclusive and collaborative.
- Commitment to working as part of a team to achieve group goals.
- Actively participates in collaborative efforts while demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
- Minimum 1 year of experience in facilitating/implementing evidence-based pregnancy prevention programs in schools or community settings, facilitating trainings for professionals or adult learners, engaging diverse community members and stakeholders, community mobilization, youth programming and community outreach efforts.
- Advanced degree in related field preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Experience providing technical assistance for program implementation and guidance on data collection, interpretation, and evaluation.
- Experience developing work plans with partners and monitoring work plans for successful completion.
- Knowledge of best practices and evidence-based teen pregnancy prevention programs/ strategies and/or public health strategies.
- Knowledge of systems-thinking and systems-change frameworks and approaches to drive organizational and/or community-wide change.
- Experience with community mobilization.
- Experience with partnership development and maintenance.
- Experience with public health program planning tools and models preferred.
SHIFT NC values the work our employees provide to our communities. To show our appreciation, in addition to compensation, we pay 100% for the employee’s portion of their health insurance premium. In addition, we offer a health savings account, dental, and life insurance. We provide access to a Simple IRA as well as vacation, holiday and sick days.
Please read here for more about our values and points of unity: http://www.shiftnc.org/about/mission
Salary: $48,000-$52,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Duration: This position is funded until June 30, 2023, contingent upon availability of funding.
Location: Durham, NC. Please note that SHIFT NC employees are working remotely due to COVID-19 to prioritize employee safety and well-being. Employees will return to office-based work when conditions allow.
Start Date: By September 14, 2020
Application Procedure: Submit cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com. Posting open through Sunday, August 2, 2020. Please submit cover letter and resume by 11:59pm on August 2nd.
No phone calls or email inquiries please.
Please note due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines, in-person interviews will be replaced with video conference interviews.