TITLE: Program Manager
EEO STATUS: Full-Time (40 hrs/week), Exempt
REPORTS TO: Director of Programs
About SHIFT NC: SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we have expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, or other reasons prohibited by law (referred to as "protected status"). This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, use of all company facilities, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, participation in any of the organizations programs or services and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits and termination of employment.
SHIFT NC is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages applications from candidates with all lived experiences and backgrounds.
Primary Purpose of Position: The Program Manager will manage an initiative aimed at reducing community-wide teen pregnancy, teen birth and STI rates. The Program Manager will plan, budget, oversee, and document all aspects of the initiative and lead the initiative team to achieve the stated desired outcomes of the initiative. The Program Manager will ensure that the initiative’s strategies are focused on systems-thinking and systems-change work that equips the community with the leadership, knowledge, and skills to collectively impact teen pregnancy, STI and teen birth rates by utilizing a systems-thinking approach to scale up and sustain evidence-based teen pregnancy prevention and STI programs in the community and connect youth in the community to quality adolescent-friendly health care services.
- Manage successful implementation of initiative including oversight and execution of annual initiative work plan, evaluation and communication plans.
- Establish partnerships and work collaboratively with partners and stakeholders to lead and integrate systems-change and systems-thinking approaches and continue to build effective sustainability strategies in community.
- Set strategic direction and quarterly benchmarks for initiative in collaboration with the Director of Programs and monitor progress towards benchmarks.
- Coordinate and monitor initiative’s evaluation activities with Evaluation Specialist.
- Coordinate and monitor initiative’s communication activities with Health Communications Manager.
- Coordinate and monitor initiative’s linking strategies and activities with Senior Quality Improvement Specialist.
- Coordinate and monitor initiative’s youth engagement activities in collaboration with Youth Engagement Specialist.
- Leads and maintains strong communication and partnership with funders in collaboration with Director of Programs.
- Establish and monitor partner MOAs and sub-awards; work with Program Specialists to ensure partners’ quarterly program and budget benchmarks are met.
- Monitor and reconcile in collaboration with Director of Programs, initiative budget.
- Complete and present in collaboration with Director of Programs, funder and stakeholder reports on initiative progress as well any project milestones, needs, challenges and solutions.
- Facilitate community mobilization activities in initiative community, and convene and facilitate the community advisory group (CAG) in initiative community; monitor advocacy and community engagement activities of CAG.
- Support and monitor initiative’s parent engagement activities.
- Anticipate obstacles, barriers, and challenges and collaborates with the Director of Programs to develop workable solutions, implement and manage change when necessary to meet project deliverables.
- Participate in program and business development efforts by assisting Director of Programs in proposal development and providing technical and writing assistance on grant proposals.
- Publish and/or present work of initiative at local, state and national conferences and in peer-reviewed journals and other publications.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, and participating in internal and external professional groups.
- Keep abreast of systems-change and systems-thinking strategies, and effective teen pregnancy prevention strategies that target youth, schools and communities.
- Hire and supervise initiative staff and provide them with support and leadership in delivering high-quality technical assistance, support and training to partners.
- Assist with other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Serve as a trainer/facilitator on the initiative and the training cadre for SHIFT NC trainings.
- Work evenings, weekends and in-state and out-of-state travel as necessary, up to 25%.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with other initiative staff, partners, consultants and external stakeholders.
- Ability to build internal and external relationships, partnerships and work with people from all backgrounds and with varying skill sets.
- Ability to communicate with strong written and oral skills with diverse audiences to increase public understanding of sensitive health topics.
- Ability to pace work and plan and benchmark project tasks to achieve desired initiative outcomes.
- Ability to plan, organize project strategies, and analyze and interpret project-level and program-level data to make quality improvements to the initiative.
- Ability to communicate project progress updates, special needs and concerns as they arise and propose alternatives to address problems.
- Ability to be resourceful, innovative, creative and exercise initiative to anticipate and overcome any barriers/challenges with project partners/stakeholders and to collaborate with Director of Programs to facilitate progress towards project goals.
- Strong commitment to SHIFT NC’s mission and vision.
- Welcomes, recognizes and appreciates others’ suggestions, points of view and contributions while working to create a work environment that is inclusive and collaborative.
- Commitment to working as part of a team to achieve group goals.
- Actively participates in collaborative efforts while demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
- Minimum 3 years of experience with project management including supervising staff, managing budgets and successfully meeting project milestones and benchmarks, partnership cultivation and maintenance, working with funders and external stakeholders, developing and executing initiative work plans to guide project implementation, providing programmatic technical assistance and quality improvement strategies to organizations and providing trainings to adult learners.
- Advanced degree in related field preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Experience developing work plans and utilizing work plans to guide project implementation.
- Experience utilizing systems-thinking and systems-change frameworks and approaches to drive organizational and/or community-wide change.
- Knowledge of evidence-based teen pregnancy prevention programs/ best practice strategies, and/or public health strategies.
- Experience with public health program planning tools and models preferred.
SHIFT NC values the work our employees provide to our communities. To show our appreciation, in addition to compensation, we pay 100% for the employee’s portion of their health insurance premium. In addition, we offer a health savings account, dental, and life insurance. We provide access to a Simple IRA as well as vacation, holiday and sick days.
Please read here for more about our values and points of unity: http://www.shiftnc.org/about/mission
Salary: $63,000-$67,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Duration: This position is funded until June 30, 2023, contingent upon availability of funding.
Location: Durham, NC. Please note that SHIFT NC employees are working remotely due to COVID-19 to prioritize employee safety and well-being. Employees will return to office-based work when conditions allow.
Start Date: By September 14, 2020
Application Procedure: Submit cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Posting open through Sunday, August 2, 2020. Please submit cover letter and resume by 11:59pm on August 2nd.
No phone calls or email inquiries please.
Please note due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines, in-person interviews will be replaced with video conference interviews.