Job description: NCYC Program Specialist
Primary Purpose of Position: The Program Specialist will provide direction and technical assistance to all school district, community-based partners and other human services agencies in Onslow and Cumberland Counties to best integrate evidence-based programming. The project, North Carolina Youth Connected, is an initiative of SHIFT NC and is funded through the Office of Adolescent Health Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program. The project aims to equip selected communities with the leadership, knowledge, and skills to collectively impact teen pregnancy and teen birth rates by scaling up evidence-based programs and practices to reach critical numbers of young people with repeated exposures to prevention messages and connecting them with quality clinic services and the most effective methods of contraception.
The Specialist will coordinate technical assistance and training on implementing evidence-based programs with fidelity. The Specialist will work closely with the project team to facilitate mutually reinforcing strategies (education and linking networks), as well as manage internal day-to-day operations according to project requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop relationships with school administrators and staff
- Develop relationships with a variety of community agencies
- Assist/support school and community leaders in prioritizing this effort and integrating into their respective settings
- Plan and monitor tasks to ensure completion of project deliverables- including organizing necessary Training and Technical Assistance
- Communicate and coordinate with the rest of project staff and with project partners to keep the work plan on pace
- Coordinate trainings on evidence-based programs for all settings and with all facilitators
- Train (as part of a training cadre) on select programs
- Must be able to travel at least 50% of work time (and up to 75% in first year), primarily to Cumberland and Onslow Counties
Knowledge and Skill:
- MPH or MSW preferred or equivalent work experience
- Experience working with diverse community members and groups
- Experience working with school systems a plus
- Experience implementing evidence-based curricula in school and community settings
- Understanding of best practices in teen pregnancy prevention
- Proven problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Strong presentation and training skills a plus
- Attention to detail
Applicants from targeted and nearby counties encouraged to apply.
Project Duration: This project is grant-funded through June 2020 and the position is entirely contingent on continued funding for each of those years.
Deadline for Application Submission: September 23, 2015
Start date: Oct 1, 2015 (negotiable)
Application Procedure: Please submit a resume, as well as a cover letter detailing your unique qualifications and interest in the position, by email to: Sally Swanson, Director of Prevention Programs, email@example.com
No phone calls or inquiries please.
About SHIFT NC: SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) - formerly the Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Campaign of North Carolina - is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we've expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care. Learn more at shiftnc.org.
SHIFT NC offers equal opportunity to and prohibits the discrimination against or harassment of anyone based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, handicapping condition, or other reasons prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, membership, and board service.