Primary Purpose of Position:
The Marketing and Outreach Specialist will work to provide communications support to programmatic initiatives of the organization, as well as general communications support to the broader organization. This position will report to the Director of Strategic Communications.
The Marketing and Outreach Specialist will spend most of their time providing full communications support to SHIFT NC’s programmatic initiatives, including day-to-day internal management of a social marketing campaign for older teens. For this role, the Marketing and Outreach Specialist must be able to communicate in a voice that resonates with teens. In addition, the Marketing and Outreach Specialist will provide communications support as assigned for the organization. These tasks will support organizational branding, outreach, fundraising and events, website maintenance, social media management, and media relations.
The ideal candidate should be able to work with sensitive, nuanced, and complex information related to sexual health and be skilled at interpreting and communicating research, data, and policy to a wide range of audiences. The ideal candidate will also have basic graphic design skills (primarily Photoshop, InDesign), and will routinely be asked to create materials such as infographics, swag, and advertisements. Video and web development skills are a bonus.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide ongoing communications support for assigned SHIFT NC programs/initiatives. Support will include:
- Working with the Director of Strategic Communications to create communications plans, troubleshoot issues, and monitor progress toward communications objectives.
- Implementing communications plans for multiple initiatives.
- Creating materials (writing, designing, printing) for initiatives, including marketing materials, presentations, advertising, swag, reports, etc.
- Preparing and supporting program staff as they communicate with community stakeholders. This may include developing talking points; helping staff communicate program data and results; providing fact sheets, data visualizations, and other materials; and suggesting, supplying, and monitoring materials.
- Helping program staff disseminate results to state and national audiences.
- Managing The Playbook, a social marketing campaign for older teens that serves multiple initiatives. This will include:
- Ongoing monitoring and facilitating the work of an outside advertising agency, including weekly phone meetings.
- Coordinating internal and external feedback during product development cycles.
- Working with program staff to meet, monitor, and improve project outcomes.
- Provide communications support to SHIFT NC, as assigned by the Director of Strategic Communications. Support will include:
- Helping the organization create and maintain a clear and consistent voice in all external communications.
- Collaborating to rapidly respond to organizational communication needs, including those related to the executive office, fundraising, advocacy, and annual conference. This may include writing talking points and/or speeches; producing email, web, or social media content; writing, designing, and printing materials; etc.
- Coordinating select awareness months and integrating messages and materials into initiatives.
- Assisting with media outreach and social media management, especially during events.
Knowledge and Skills:
- 3+ years communications experience required.
- Track record of successful media outreach and social media management.
- Strong writing, speaking, and visual communications skills. Must have the ability to translate data, research, and complex and/or sensitive topics into a clear, engaging product.
- Intermediate graphic design skills (Photoshop, InDesign). Examples of expected products might include: infographics, posters, donor newsletters, annual report, billboards, newspaper ads, etc.
- Ability to simultaneously meet multiple deadlines across multiple departments, and move projects forward with autonomy and minimal direction.
- Ability to work collaboratively and responsively with multiple teams and departments.
- Ability to create effective communications for multiple and diverse audiences, including local community stakeholders, teens, donors and funders, youth-serving professionals and advocates, the media, legislators, and internal stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate about adolescent sexual health and related issues in a clear, positive, data-informed voice.
- Video skills are a major bonus.
Deadline for Application Submission: September 10, 2017 at 5:00 PM
Application Procedure: Please submit the following materials by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter highlighting unique qualifications for the role
- Three work samples that highlight your abilities and/or qualification for the role. Please include a cover memo with your samples that tells what the sample is and what your role in producing it was.
No phone calls or inquiries please.
As this position is grant-funded through June 30, 2018, it is limited in time to the duration of the grant. Continued employment after the funding period is not guaranteed.
SHIFT NC is an equal opportunity employer and strives for diversity among its applicant pool as well as within its staff and board of directors. People of color, LGBTQ people, immigrants, women and people who are differently-abled are strongly encouraged to apply.
About SHIFT NC: SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) - formerly the Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Campaign of North Carolina - is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we've expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care. Learn more at shiftnc.org.