The Health Communications Specialist (HCS) will provide strategic oversight, development, implementation, and monitoring of health-focused communications for SHIFT NC and key initiatives. The Health Communications Specialist will use proven practices and stakeholder input to communicate effectively with adolescents and young adults, parents, health care providers, and other core constituencies. The HCS is a highly collaborative position, requiring close connection to program and evaluation staff, and will work under the direction of the Director of Strategic Communications.
Because SHIFT NC operates a small communications team, the ideal candidate should have basic graphic design skills and experience with social media and website management.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop effective campaigns and materials to communicate health messages to adolescents, parents, health care providers, and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with project directors, evaluation staff, project partners, and others to gather and respond to target audience feedback.
- Provide day-to-day management for social marketing campaigns, including social media management and advertising, website management, and reporting.
- Design materials and coordinate distribution, ad placement, and printing.
- Provide technical assistance to program partners to help them strengthen their health communications capacity.
- Work to ensure that campaigns and materials are culturally relevant and inclusive.
- Create annual communications plans for assigned campaigns and projects, troubleshoot issues, and monitor progress toward communications objectives.
- Help the organization create and maintain a clear and consistent voice in all external communications. Ensure that SHIFT NC’s portfolio of campaigns maintains a high level of brand coherence.
- Provide communications support as needed and assigned for SHIFT NC, its initiatives, and fee-for-service efforts.
Knowledge and Skills:
- 2+ years health communications experience required.
- Track record of successful social media and digital outreach management. Experience with social media advertising and Google Ads (formerly AdWords).
- Experience incorporating target audience insights and feedback into communications strategies.
- Strong writing, speaking, and visual communications skills. Must have the ability to translate data, research, and complex and/or sensitive topics into a clear, engaging product.
- Intermediate graphic design skills (Photoshop, InDesign). Examples of expected products might include: digital ads, bus wraps, infographics, posters, swag, etc.
- Ability to simultaneously meet multiple deadlines across multiple projects, and move projects forward with autonomy and minimal direction.
- Ability to create effective communications for multiple and diverse audiences, and the cultural humility necessary to see when outside voices are required to do good work.
- Ability to communicate about adolescent sexual health and related issues in a clear, positive, data-informed voice.
- Strong commitment to SHIFT NC’s mission and vision.
- Welcomes, recognizes, and appreciates others’ suggestions, points of view and contributions while working to create a work environment that is inclusive and collaborative.
- Actively participates in collaborative efforts while demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
Position Duration: Funding for this position is partially funded through a grant that ends in 2021. Employment is at-will and is contingent on grant award.
Deadline for Application Submission: August 20, 2018
Start date: Negotiable
Salary Range: $45,000-$55,000
Application Procedure: Please submit the following items via email to email@example.com by 5:00 PM on August 20, 2018:
- Cover letter detailing how your qualifications align with our needs; and
- 3-5 samples of your work, with a cover sheet detailing the purpose of the project and your contributions (i.e. copy, design). Links to digital content may be supplied in the cover sheet if these provide a better representation of your work.
SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we've expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care. Learn more at shiftnc.org.
SHIFT NC offers equal opportunity to and prohibits the discrimination against or harassment of anyone based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, handicapping condition, or other reasons prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, and participation in any of the organizations programs or services.