TITLE: Evaluation Specialist
EEO STATUS: Full-Time (40 hrs/week), Exempt
REPORTS TO: Research and Evaluation Manager
About SHIFT NC: SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we have expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, or other reasons prohibited by law (referred to as "protected status"). This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, use of all company facilities, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, participation in any of the organizations programs or services and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits and termination of employment.
SHIFT NC is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages applications from candidates with all lived experiences and backgrounds.
Primary Purpose of Position: The Evaluation Specialist will design, plan, and conduct evaluation activities of an initiative aimed at reducing community-wide teen pregnancy, teen birth and STI rates. This position is also responsible for contributing to broader, organization-level evaluation efforts of SHIFT NC, in collaboration with other members of SHIFT NC’s Monitoring, Evaluation & Research Team (MERT). Evaluation activities may include conducting needs assessments, analyzing pre- and post-test intervention participant outcomes, monitoring and process assessment, compiling data to inform project and partner work plans, etc. This position relies on strong statistical, project management, writing, and analytical skills. The Evaluation Specialist will work both directly and collaboratively to collect data, analyze data and report on data to internal and external stakeholders.
- Lead programmatic evaluation design for initiative.
- Monitor in collaboration with Program Manager completion of initiative’s monitoring, evaluation, and improvement plan.
- Gather external and internal stakeholder input to inform the development and implementation of all stages of the monitoring, evaluation, and improvement plan.
- Develop evaluation tools and protocols and adapting existing tools & processes to fit the needs and contexts of external partners and internal staff for initiative.
- Collect data and conducting various data analyses particularly participant pre & post-test data and initiative performance measures.
- Develop and lead data collection process from various partners, negotiating deadlines and navigating delayed deliverables.
- Provide training and technical assistance for partners who perform data collection duties.
- Identify and highlight key data to inform action by external partners and internal staff.
- Present evaluation findings and updates at project team, community, and stakeholder meetings.
- Collaborate with other SHIFT NC staff to support data utilization by partners.
- Identify strategic programmatic opportunities and infusing program design with recent and relevant data from internal & external sources.
- Create dissemination products for mixed audiences, including partners, funders, professional journals, practitioners, and project staff.
- Coordinate with Director of Programs, Program Manager, funders, contractors and project partners to ensure seamless collaboration around evaluation activities.
- Respond to various funder and project partner demands on quick turnaround.
- Manage relationships with donors and partners in collaboration with initiative Program Manager and the Director of Programs, especially around delayed deliverables.
- Participate in SHIFT NC’s Research & Evaluation Team efforts, including monitoring and maintenance of organizational-level indicators of SHIFT NC’s work and designing research studies.
- Work evenings, weekends and in-state and out-of-state travel as necessary, up to 25%.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate research and evaluation processes and findings with strong written and oral skills in an easily-understood manner to multiple audiences.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with Project Director, Project Manager, Project staff and internal/external stakeholders.
- Creative problem-solving and responsiveness to internal & external stakeholders
- Strong commitment to SHIFT NC’s mission and vision.
- Welcomes, recognizes and appreciates others’ suggestions, points of view and contributions while working to create a work environment that is inclusive and collaborative.
- Commitment to working as part of a team to achieve group goals.
- Actively participates in collaborative efforts while demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
- Advanced relevant degree in the areas of Public Health, Education, Social Work/Counseling or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 1 year of experience with evaluating youth programs, human service initiatives, with a preference for experience with adolescent public health evaluations, social science, community-level, and empowerment evaluation.
- Familiarity and comfort working with Excel for data management and reporting.
- Some experience with quantitative analysis software (SPSS, SAS, STATA, etc.) and qualitative analysis software (e.g., NVIVO or Atlas.ti).
- Strong writing skills, ability to communicate evaluation processes and findings in an easily-understood manner.
- Knowledge of the principles, practices, and procedures of program evaluation practices.
- Knowledge of public health and social science qualitative and quantitative research methodologies.
SHIFT NC values the work our employees provide to our communities. To show our appreciation, in addition to compensation, we pay 100% for the employee’s portion of their health insurance premium. In addition, we offer a health savings account, dental, and life insurance. We provide access to a Simple IRA as well as vacation, holiday and sick days.
Please read here for more about our values and points of unity: http://www.shiftnc.org/about/mission
Salary: $58,000-$61,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Duration: This position is funded until June 30, 2023, contingent upon availability of funding.
Location: Durham, NC. Please note that SHIFT NC employees are working remotely due to COVID-19 to prioritize employee safety and well-being. Employees will return to office-based work when conditions allow.
Start Date: By September 14, 2020
Application Procedure: Submit cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Posting open through Sunday, August 2, 2020. Please submit cover letter and resume by 11:59pm on August 2nd.