TITLE: Evaluation Specialist
INITIATIVE(s): All Together Now, Healthy Tomorrow Alliance, High Point Access
REPORTS TO: Senior Program Manager
FLSA STATUS: Full-time, Exempt
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION: The primary purpose of this position is to design, plan, and conduct evaluation of key agency initiatives, including clinic-improvement and clinic-linking efforts and initiatives focused on creating supportive environments and availability of inclusive and affirming services for LGBTQ teens and young adults. This position is also responsible for contributing to broader, organization-level evaluation efforts of SHIFT NC, in collaboration with other members of SHIFT NC’s Research & Evaluation Team. Evaluation activities may include needs assessments, pre/post intervention outcomes, monitoring and process assessment, quality improvement cycles, compiling data to inform intervention plans, etc. This position relies on strong statistical, project management, writing, and analytical skills. The Evaluation Specialist will work both directly and collaboratively to collect data, analyze data and report on data to internal and external stakeholders. This position will serve the following initiatives:
ALL TOGETHER NOW is starting year 4 of the 5 year project and is leading to improved quality of and availability of youth-friendly health services; strong, formal referral networks to increase access to care; and, ultimately, increased use of health care systems and effective contraceptive methods by youth in Durham County.
HEALTHY TOMORROW ALLIANCE is in year 4 of a 6 year project focused on serving as collaborative of Greensboro health care providers, youth-serving organizations, and the Cone Health Foundation-working together to reduce teen pregnancy. The Alliance strives to connect young people and their families to high-quality, teen friendly health care services in Greensboro.
HIGH POINT ACCESS is in the last year of a 3 year project focused on serving as a coordinated initiative to increase access to sexual and reproductive health services for young people ages 15-19 years old. The initiative helps to improve and enhance the capacity of health center partners to better serve the reproductive health needs of young people with quality services, and, build and strengthen a referral network with youth-serving agencies to effectively link young people to services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Gathering external and internal stakeholder input to inform the development and implementation of all stages of the evaluation.
- Developing evaluation tools and protocols and adapting existing tools & processes to fit the needs and contexts of external partners.
- Data collection, including providing training and technical assistance for practitioners who perform data collection duties.
- Conducting analyses.
- Creating dissemination products for mixed audiences, including funders, professional journals, practitioners, and project staff.
- Collaborating with multiple project teams on multiple projects.
- Identifying and highlighting key data to inform action by external partners and internal staff
- Collaborating with other SHIFT NC staff to support data utilization by partners.
- Identifying strategic programmatic opportunities and infusing program design with recent and relevant data from internal & external sources.
- Coordinating with funders, contractors and project partners to ensure seamless collaboration around evaluation activities.
- Contributing to programmatic design and evaluation plan design for proposed projects
- Participating in SHIFT NC’s Research & Evaluation Team efforts, including monitoring and maintenance of organizational-level indicators of SHIFT NC’s work and designing research studies.
- Supervising evaluation interns and other evaluation staff, as assigned.
EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Experience with evaluating human service initiatives, with a preference for experience with adolescent public health evaluations.
- Some experience with quantitative analysis software (SPSS, SAS, STATA, etc.) and qualitative analysis software (e.g., NVIVO or Atlas.ti).
- Ability to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Strong writing skills, ability to communicate evaluation processes and findings in an easily-understood manner.
- Creative problem-solving and responsiveness to internal & external stakeholders
- Strong commitment to SHIFT NC’s mission and vision
- Welcomes, recognizes, and appreciates others’ suggestions, points of view and contributions while working to create a work environment that is inclusive and collaborative.
- Actively participates in collaborative efforts while demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
- MPH or MSW preferred or relevant experience.
POSITION DURATION: This position is funded through a grant that is scheduled to end September 2020. Employment is at-will and is contingent on continued grant funding.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATION SUBMISSION: June 11, 2019
START DATE: July 8, 2019
Salary: $45,000 - $58,000 Commensurate with experience
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please submit the following items via email to by 5:00 PM on June 11, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cover letter detailing how your qualifications align with our needs
SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we've expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care. Learn more at shiftnc.org.
SHIFT NC offers equal opportunity to and prohibits the discrimination against or harassment of anyone based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, handicapping condition, or other reasons prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, and participation in any of the organizations programs or services.
SHIFT NC is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages applications from candidates with different lived experiences and backgrounds.