TITLE: Director of Programs
EEO STATUS: Full-Time (40 hours/week), Exempt
REPORTS TO: Chief Program Officer
About SHIFT NC: SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After over 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we have expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer and do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, or other reasons prohibited by law (referred to as "protected status"). This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, use of all company facilities, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, participation in any of the organizations programs or services and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits and termination of employment.
SHIFT NC is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages applications from candidates with all lived experiences and backgrounds.
Primary Purpose of Position: The Director of Programs is a senior-level position and will serve as a member of the SHIFT NC leadership team and will lead and oversee a portfolio of programs and initiatives including current initiatives, Every Teen Counts (ETC) and Alamance Youth Connected (AYC); will implement the strategic vision and leadership of the programs department in collaboration with the Chief Program Officer; evaluate the effectiveness of programs and initiatives to inform future programmatic efforts; and work to sustain initiatives and programs in the respective communities. The Director of Programs will lead initiative teams to provide on-going programmatic and organizational technical assistance and trainings to partners; improve access to quality reproductive health care services and strengthen linkages to available health care services in the target communities; assess, implement, and evaluate programs and activities; use data to make quality programmatic improvements; sustain programs and programmatic efforts; and ensure that all initiative benchmarks are met or surpassed.
- Manage successful implementation of federal, state, and foundation funded projects and initiatives and ensuring expectations of funders are met.
- Communicate with funders any project milestones, needs and challenges.
- Oversee the coordination, integration, and delivery of all aspects of the initiatives and programs including budgets, contracts/MOAs, work plans, training and technical assistance provision, evaluation, and sustainability.
- Identify and develop new programmatic opportunities, content, and products in alignment with funding, programmatic priorities, and organizational strategic plan.
- Directly supervise Program Managers and provide them with support and leadership in executing initiative work plans and supervising their direct reports.
- Coordinate and lead program implementation team to strategize, troubleshoot, plan, develop, and execute activities in service of all programmatic initiatives.
- Establish partnerships and work collaboratively with Program Managers to implement systems-change framework and program planning models (Getting to Outcomes framework) on initiatives to ensure the likelihood of lasting impact and growth of programs and initiatives.
- Collaborate with Chief Program Officer to establish annual program goals, set overall vision and direction for programs and initiatives, execute programmatic strategic plan.
- Collaborate with Program Managers to troubleshoot challenges and barriers and apply lessons learned.
- Hire staff members for all programmatic initiatives and provide them with high-level support and leadership in executing initiative work plans.
- Participate in program and business development efforts by assisting/leading proposal development and providing technical and writing assistance on grant proposals in collaboration with staff.
- Keep abreast of effective teen pregnancy prevention and adolescent sexual health best-practice strategies.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, and participating in professional groups.
- Publish and/or present work at local, state and national conferences and in peer-reviewed journals and other publications .
- Serve on organizational leadership team and collaborates to provide strategic direction and guidance for organization.
- Assist with other tasks and projects as assigned.
- Serve as a facilitator on the training cadre for SHIFT NC trainings.
- Work evenings, weekends and in-state and out-of-state travel as necessary, up to 25%.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to work effectively with other staff, initiative staff, partners, consultants, and external stakeholders.
- Ability to build internal and external relationships and work with people from all backgrounds and with varying skill sets.
- Ability to set vision for the work and plan, pace, and benchmark initiative tasks to achieve desired initiative outcomes.
- Ability to lead, facilitate, and participate in collaborative partnerships.
- Ability to analyze and interpret program and initiative level data to make quality improvements to the initiative.
- Ability to utilize lessons learned in future initiatives, programs and programmatic opportunities.
- Ability to cultivate and respond to opportunities as they arise (team needs, partner needs, strategic observations) and exercise initiative to anticipate and overcome any barriers with all groups and to facilitate progress towards project goals.
- Ability to communicate project progress updates, special needs and concerns as they arise and propose alternatives to address problems.
- Ability to elevate programmatic work beyond work plan and be resourceful, innovative, and creative when overcoming barriers and solving problems.
- Ability to communicate with strong written and oral skills with diverse audiences to increase public understanding of sensitive health topics.
- Strong commitment to SHIFT NC’s mission and vision.
- Welcomes, recognizes and appreciates others’ suggestions, points of view and contributions while working to create a work environment that is inclusive and collaborative.
- Commitment to working as part of a team to achieve group goals.
- Actively participates in collaborative efforts while demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
- Minimum 5 years of experience in developing, leading, and managing multiple prevention programs/projects/initiatives; successfully meeting project/program milestones and benchmarks; partnership cultivation and maintenance; working with funders and external stakeholders at senior/executive level; developing and executing initiative work plans/scopes of work to guide project/program implementation; providing programmatic technical assistance and quality improvement strategies to organizations; and providing trainings to adult learners.
- Advanced degree in related field preferred or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum 3 years of experience with budget development and budget management including monitoring and reconciliation.
- Minimum 3 years of experience supervising direct reports.
- Demonstrated experience managing high-performing teams.
- Experience with writing grants preferred.
- Experience with developing, executing, and managing contracts and/or Memoranda of Agreements.
- Experience analyzing and compiling data for planning and reporting.
- Demonstrated experience utilizing systems-thinking and systems-change frameworks and approaches to drive organizational and/or community-wide change.
- Demonstrated experience with implementing evidence-based teen pregnancy prevention programs and strategies, and/or public health strategies.
- Previous experience serving in organizational leadership preferred.
- Experience with public health program planning tools and models preferred.
- Ability to successfully navigate in a fast-paced, outcomes-driven and entrepreneurial environment.
SHIFT NC values the work our employees provide to our communities. To show our appreciation, in addition to compensation, we pay 100% for the employee’s portion of their health insurance premium. In addition, we offer a health savings account, dental, and life insurance. We provide access to a Simple IRA as well as vacation, holiday and sick days.
Please read here for more about our values and points of unity: http://www.shiftnc.org/about/mission
Salary: $69,000-$73,000 commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Position Duration: This position is funded until June 30, 2023, contingent upon availability of funding.
Location: Durham, NC. Please note that SHIFT NC employees are working remotely due to COVID-19 to prioritize employee safety and well-being. Employees will return to office-based work when conditions allow.
Start Date: By June 1, 2021
Application Procedure: Submit cover letter and resume by email to email@example.com. Posting open through Friday, March 19, 2021. Please submit cover letter and resume by 11:59pm on March 19th.
No phone calls or email inquiries please.
Please note due to ongoing COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines, in-person interviews will be replaced with video conference interviews.