About SHIFT NC
SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) is a statewide nonprofit leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. By increasing awareness, disseminating data, improving policy, supplying professional development, and providing leadership, we are empowering North Carolina’s professionals to support healthy development. Our approach uses successful, evidence-based methods to make a positive change for teen pregnancy prevention, HIV and STIs, healthy development, sexuality, and relationships.
Our Mission: Leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health.
Our Vision: Sexual health matters. We work to empower North Carolinians so that every adolescent grows up in a state that is equipped to support their sexual health. Investing in young people’s sexual health benefits them, our state, and our communities now and in the future.
Reports to: Board of Directors
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) serves as chief executive of SHIFT NC and, in partnership with the Board, is responsible for the success of the organization. Together, the Board and CEO assure SHIFT NC’s relevance, the accomplishment of SHIFT NC’s mission and vision, and the accountability of SHIFT NC to its diverse constituents.
The Board delegates responsibility for management and day-to-day operations to the CEO, and s/he has the authority to carry out these responsibilities, in accordance with the direction and policies established by the Board. The CEO provides direction to the Board as it carries out its governance functions.
- Legal compliance
- Assures the filing of all legal and regulatory documents and monitors compliance with relevant laws and regulations.
- Reports on such actions to the Board at the next board meeting or sooner if determined to be time-sensitive.
- Mission, policy, and planning
- Helps the Board determine SHIFT NC’s mission, vision, and short- and long-term goals through strategic planning.
- Helps the Board monitor and evaluate SHIFT NC’s relevancy, the organization’s effectiveness, and results.
- Keeps the Board fully informed on the condition of SHIFT NC and on all the important factors influencing it. Identifies problems and opportunities and addresses them; brings those which are appropriate to the Board and/or its committees; and, facilitates discussion and deliberation. Informs the Board and its committees about trends, issues, problems and activities in order to facilitate policy-making. Recommends policy positions/issue statements.
- Develops and maintains expertise in sexual health, adolescent development, not-for-profit management and governance, philanthropy, and fund development.
- Management and administration
- Ensures implementation of and adherence to the strategic plan by staff. Oversees planning and implementation of activities that support the strategic planning including conferences, initiatives, and meetings.
- Provides general oversight of all SHIFT NC activities, manages the day-to-day operations, and assures a smoothly functioning, efficient organization. Sets standards for departments and outline their functions.
- Assures program quality and organizational stability through development and implementation of standards and controls, systems and procedures, and regular evaluation.
- Assures a work environment that recruits, retains and supports quality staff and volunteers. Assures process for selecting, development, motivating, and evaluating staff and volunteers.
- Recommends staffing, salary levels, and benefits to the Board of Directors. In accordance with Board action, recruits personnel, negotiates professional contracts, and sees that appropriate salary structures are developed and maintained.
- Defines roles and job descriptions for staff positions (whether paid or volunteer) and maintains a current organization chart. Evaluates staff performance regularly.
- Works with the Board Chair to enable the Board to fulfill its governance functions and facilitates the optimum performance by the Board, its committees, and individual Board members.
- With the Board Chair, focuses Board attention on long-range strategic issues.
- Manages the Board’s due diligence process to assure timely attention to core issues.
- Works with the Board officers and committee chairs to get the best thinking and involvement of each Board member and to stimulate each Board member to give his or her best.
- Recommends volunteers to participate in the Board and its committees.
- Promotes programs and services that are produced in a cost-effective manner, while maintaining an acceptable level of quality.
- Oversees the fiscal activities of the organization including budgeting, reporting, and audit. Reports on financial activities to the board on a monthly basis including comparison of actual to budgeted financial activity.
- Works with Board Finance Committee to ensure financing to support short- and long-term goals.
- Assures an effective fund development program. Helps guide and enable the Board Resource Development Committee and individual Board members to participate actively in the fund development process. Helps the Board Resource Development Committee design, implement and monitor a viable fundraising plan, policies and procedures.
- Participates actively in identifying, cultivating, and soliciting donor prospects. Assures the availability of materials to support solicitation. Assures the development and operation of gift management systems and reports
- Community relations
- Generates visibility and publicity for the organization in order to advance the mission and reach the long- and short-terms goals of the organization. Facilitates the integration of SHIFT NC into the fabric of the state by using effective marketing and communications activities.
- Acts as an advocate, within the public and private sectors, for issues relevant to SHIFT NC, its services, and constituencies.
- Listens to board, clients, volunteers, donors, stakeholders, and the community in order to improve services and generate stakeholder involvement.
- Assures statewide awareness of SHIFT NC’s response to adolescent sexual health issues.
- Serves as chief spokesperson for SHIFT NC, assuring proper representation of SHIFT NC to the broader national and state communities, including serving as keynote speaker and panelist at state and national conferences.
- Initiates, develops, and maintains cooperative relationships with key constituencies, peer organizations, and stakeholders. Acts as liaison to national organizations as appropriate.
- Works with legislators, regulatory agencies, volunteers and representatives of the not-for-profit sector to promote legislative and regulatory policies that address the issue relevant to SHIFT NC.
- Carries out additional tasks that further the progress of SHIFT NC as well as any other responsibilities deemed necessary by the Board of Directors.
This is a fast-paced, high profile executive position based on full responsibility for SHIFT NC operations. Job responsibilities include:
- Handles detailed, complex concepts and problems, balances multiple tasks simultaneously, and makes rapid decisions regarding administrative issues.
- Plans and implements programs.
- Establishes strong and appropriate relationships with Board, committees, volunteers, staff, donors, and clients.
- Develops smooth and constructive relationships with executive colleagues, outside agencies, organizations, and individuals.
- Plans and meets deadlines.
- Maintains a flexible work schedule to meet the demands of executive management.
- This position regularly requires long hours and frequent weekend work.
- Conveys a professional and positive image and attitude regarding SHIFT NC.
- Demonstrates commitment to continued professional growth and development.
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Masters preferred in related field
- 7+ years of progressive leadership experience
- Previous experience in an executive or senior leadership role serving in a medium size, complex organization reporting to a board of directors
- Track record of effectively leading and regionally and/or nationally scaling a performance and outcomes based organization and staff
- Ability to point to specific examples of having developed and operationalized strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Excellence in organizational management with the ability to coach staff, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set, and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget
- Past success working with a Board of Directors with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people
This position is directly responsible for leading officers of the organization and indirectly responsible for all employees within SHIFT NC.
To ensure that job accountabilities and responsibilities are met, the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors, under the leadership of the Chair, will evaluate the CEO on an annual basis. This evaluation may include “360-degree” feedback from staff, board, peers, and self-assessment.
SHIFT NC offers a competitive and comprehensive benefits package. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.
For confidential consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter detailing your unique qualifications and interest in the position via email to CEOsearch@shiftnc.org
SHIFT NC is an equal opportunity employer and strives for diversity among its applicant pool as well as within its staff and board of directors
SHIFT NC offers equal opportunity to and prohibits the discrimination against or harassment of anyone based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, handicapping condition, or other reasons prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, and participation in any of the organizations programs or services.