Are you a young leader interested in sexual and reproductive health? Join the YAC!
What is the YAC? The Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is a group of young people who are interested in learning about sexual and reproductive health, sharing their knowledge through an annual project, and providing valuable feedback to SHIFT NC programming.
YAC Members: The YAC is a group of young folks (ages 15-19) of diverse identities and experiences from across North Carolina. We especially encourage LGBTQIA+, boys/men, Latinx, and black youth to apply.
YAC members commit to attending (September 2021 – May 2022):
- Monthly weeknight meeting (1-2 hours)
- Monthly weekend workshop (1.5-2 hours)
- Mid-year in-person meeting in Durham, NC (day-long, meals & stipend provided)
- Two annual sessions to provide feedback to specific SHIFT NC initiatives
Benefits to being part of the YAC:
- Develop skills—leadership, peer education, writing, advocacy, teamwork, etc.!
- Participation $tipend
- Fun swag
- Learn about topics important to you
- Help young people and adults improve adolescent health and knowledge
- Make new friends across North Carolina!
Potential Training Topics:
- Sexual and reproductive health
- Sexual orientation and gender identity
- Reproductive rights and reproductive justice
- Minors’ rights to access health care
- STIs and HIV
- Healthy relationships and consent
- Self-care and self-compassion
- Mental health and wellbeing
Quotes from YAC members:
- “The highlight for me was doing different activities with people and getting to get their opinions and backgrounds on things.”
- “I liked working with so many people that are passionate about the same thing as me.”
- "I liked that I was able to be in a space with like-minded individuals who are also passionate about what I’m most passionate about. I also liked to hear input from my peers about their POVs and opinions."
- "I enjoy the safe space that was created for youth to learn and grow with each other."
- "I loved getting to learn about and discuss sexual health, and my favorite thing was getting to make blog posts about what I specifically want to teach others about."
- "I enjoyed the awesome people that I was working with."
Apply here by Friday July 30th
Contact: Meredith Burns (they/them) at firstname.lastname@example.org
Finalists must be available for a 30 minute interview the week of August 9th.