Dear friend of fact-based sexuality education,
I have two wonderful granddaughters, ages eleven and thirteen, so I know what an exciting and challenging time adolescence can be. I know that they, like most teens, are pulled in many directions – some good and some not so good. But I just want them to grow up healthy, safe, and responsible so they can lead happy, productive lives. I want them to avoid unplanned pregnancies, sexually transmitted diseases, HIV, and abusive relationships. I want them to have ready access to excellent medical care and advice. And should they have questions about their sexuality or gender identity, I want them to know where to find both answers and supportive allies like me. I want my granddaughters to have these things, and I want all of North Carolina’s young people to have these things.
Fortunately, North Carolina has an organization dedicated to ensuring that young people grow up healthy. They do this through initiatives that promote proven strategies, such as fact-based sexuality education and access to appropriate care, all across our state.
Over the course of the past 30 years, SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) – formerly the Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Campaign of North Carolina – has proven itself as the leader in mobilizing our communities to help young people. For example, the Gaston Youth Connected initiative rallied Gaston County to reduce teen pregnancy rates more than 40% in 4 years by engaging all sectors of the community to support adolescent health. Now they are replicating that success with other high-need counties, and fielding calls from leaders in communities big and small, asking, “How can we do that?” The good news is that they can.
Please join me today in supporting the work of SHIFT NC, the only statewide nonprofit focused on adolescent sexual health.
With your support, SHIFT NC can have a more comprehensive impact on young people’s health, while continuing to promote historic declines in North Carolina’s teen pregnancy rate. We need you to help all of North Carolina’s young people have an equal chance get the education, support, and access to adolescent-friendly health care they need – all so they can grow up healthy!
WHAT WILL YOUR DONATION DO?
2015 has been an exceptionally bright year for North Carolina young people. Here are some of the bold accomplishments your gift will help us continue and expand:
- Secured three federal grants to serve more than 61,000 youth over the next five years. These grants will expand sexuality education and access to adolescent-friendly health care, as well as trauma-informed services for youth in foster care and juvenile detention centers.
- Successfully advocated for the North Carolina General Assembly to expand funding to support 46 evidence-based adolescent pregnancy prevention and adolescent parenting programs.
- Trained more than 200 school professionals to make schools safer for LGBT youth.
- Worked with more than 4,500 advocates to protect North Carolina’s minor’s consent for healthcare law and the state’s sex education law.
- Wrapped up Gaston Youth Connected, a 5-year, federally funded initiative that reduced teen pregnancy rates more than 40% in Gaston County and eliminated the long-standing disparity between African-American and white teens.
These outcomes make a difference for youth – and gifts like yours make them happen. Thank you so much for your support!