Join the conversation for National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month. Challenge yourself and other askable adults to start important conversations about sexual health and pregnancy prevention with the young people in your life. Feel free to use the following sample posts and tweets and share them on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram using the hashtag #NTPPM.
Sample Facebook Posts
- When rates go down, opportunities go up. Reduce teen pregnancy & improve educational attainment, health outcomes & more! #NTPPM
- Did you know, nearly 1 in 4 US girls gets pregnant at least once before age 20. Learn more about #TeenPregnancy and support #NTPPM @ shiftnc.org/ntppm
- Setting young people up for success—by preventing teen pregnancy—strengthens our families, communities, and the nation. #NTPPM
- Believe it or not, teens want to hear from their parents regarding love, sex, and relationships. Starting age-appropriate conversations early and continuing them into early adulthood will help young people make smarter decisions regarding their sexual health. #NTPPM
- The “talk” you had years ago with your teen might need a sequel. Need some conversation starters? We’ve got you covered @ shiftnc.org/resources/for-parents #NTPPM
- May is the National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month. How do you score? Find out. Take the Quiz at StayTeen.org #StayTeen #NTPPM
- Parents, you’re more powerful than you know. Find easy tips for talking to your teens @ shiftnc.org/resources/for-parents #NTPPM
- Starting age-appropriate conversations early and continuing them into early adulthood will help young people make smarter decisions regarding their sexual health. #NTPPM
- Educate Congress about the importance of continuing to fund programs like TPP and PREP. Most adults favor maintaining funding! http://bit.ly/2k5cc4h #NTPPM
- Empower youth to be leaders in their community as well as educate the community as to why #teenpregnancyprevention is needed. #NTPPM
Sample Twitter Posts
- #NTPPM tip: Use teachable moments—like the media—to start a conversation with youth.
- #NTPPM is a great opportunity to have “The Talk” and continue discussing sexual health, values, relationships, and safer sex.
- Believe it or not, teens want to hear from their parents regarding love, sex, and relationships. #NTPPM
- This May, help the teens in your life Level Up! Share our new game/help them learn about smart decisions. http://www.StayTeen.org #NTPPM
- #TeenPregnancy is more than just a teen issue, it’s a community issue #NTPPM
- Teen pregnancies are historically low, but lack of sexual health info & resources is high. STD rates for 15-18 is the highest ever #NTPPM
- Teens in rural communities also have higher teen birth rates than those in urban areas. http://bit.ly/2pLyad0 #NTPPM
- Teen pregnancy rates are going down but progress doesn’t mean we stop working. #NPTTM
- Helping young people avoid unplanned pregnancy sets them—and the country—up for future success. #NTPPM
- Nearly 1 in 4 US girls gets pregnant at least once before age 20. Learn more and support the #NTPPM @ shiftnc.org/ntppm
Every year, the month of May is designated as National Teen Pregnancy Prevention Month to celebrate the progress made in teen pregnancy prevention across the country. The extraordinary declines in teen pregnancy and childbearing over the past two decades prove that progress can be made on tough issues. In fact, few social problems have improved quite as dramatically over the past 20 years as teen pregnancy. Since the early 1990s, teen pregnancy and birth rates in the United State have declined by 55% and 64% respectively and are now at record low levels.
Here at [INSERT ORGANIZATION NAME], we’re celebrating the month with a digital campaign to celebrate progress and available resources to help support young people grow up healthy. We invite you to join for #NTPPM on social media! Click here for downloadable resources. As part of [INSERT ORGANIZATION NAME’S] ongoing goal to connect and engage North Carolinians in teen pregnancy prevention efforts, we are on [FACEBOOK, TWITTER, INSTAGRAM, ETC]. Give us a “like” and join in the conversation!