TITLE: LGBTQ Capacity Manager
REPORTS TO: Director of Training and Evaluation
About SHIFT NC: SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we have expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care.
SHIFT NC offers equal opportunity to and prohibits the discrimination against or harassment of anyone based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, handicapping condition, or other reasons prohibited by law (referred to as "protected status"). This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, use of all company facilities, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, participation in any of the organizations programs or services and all employment actions such as promotions, compensation, benefits and termination of employment.
SHIFT NC is committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourages applications from candidates with all lived experiences and backgrounds.
Primary Purpose of Position:
The LGBTQ Capacity Manager will lead SHIFT NC in developing, delivering, coordinating, and enhancing resources, materials, training delivery, and technical assistance provision to create more affirming schools, health clinics, service providers, and other environments for LGBTQ+ youth.
- Manage contracted work with funders of LGBTQ capacity portfolio; plan and benchmark tasks to ensure completion of project deliverables
- Regularly and effectively communicate with funders, partners, and training recipients to coordinate trainings and provide technical assistance where applicable
- Manage the previously established cadre of certified How to be an Ally facilitators, including scheduling facilitators for training delivery and communicating logistics, processing trainer invoices and related expenses, and providing professional development resources and program updates
- Develop additional tools and trainings to support the creation of supportive schools, health centers, community-based and other environments. Work closely with Director of Training and Evaluation to offer variety of trainings through earned income strategy (fee for service)
- Provide technical assistance to external partners contracting for capacity building needs related to LGBTQ youth
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships at the state and local levels to support the mission and maximize resources to support LGBTQ youth
- Stay up to date with local and federal news and legislation affecting LGBTQ individuals
- Collaborate across organizational initiatives to ensure integration of LGBTQ identities and experiences, and grow staff capacity to affirm gender and sexuality diversity internally and in external work with partners and funders
- Contribute to grant proposals and other project development processes related to the above work
- 20% travel to facilitate trainings across the state (including occasional overnight travel)
- Ability to exercise utmost diplomacy when interacting with administrators and executive’s education and public health sectors
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and remain organized
- Expert engagement skills and ability to nurture and sustain relationships with key stakeholders
- Skilled at making presentations to small and large audiences and individual decision makers
- Ability to communicate with strong written and oral skills in an easily-understood and tactful manner to multiple audiences
- Strong commitment to SHIFT NC’s mission and vision
- Welcomes, recognizes, and appreciates others’ suggestions, points of view and contributions while working to create a work environment that is inclusive and collaborative.
- Actively participates in collaborative efforts while demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
- Advanced relevant degree in the areas of Public Health, Education, Social Work/Counseling (or equivalent mental health fields) or equivalent work experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience working with interdisciplinary teams
- Minimum 3 years of experience in adolescent development, sexual health (including HIV/STI, pregnancy prevention)
- Experience working with public schools/school systems required
- Experience as a trainer with an understanding of a variety of teaching methods
- Expertise and experience working on issues related to LGBTQ youth required
- Expertise on federal and state policies relevant to LGBTQ youth preferred
- Experience with Motivational Interviewing theory and practice
- Experience working with marginalized populations, communities of faith, and those of varying political views.
NOTE: The above information is intended to describe the most important aspects of the job. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required in order to perform the work.
Please read here for more about our values and points of unity: http://www.shiftnc.org/about/mission
POSITION DURATION: Six months. Potential for continuation based on funding.
START DATE: January 2020
Compensation: $30/hour. 25 hours/week.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Please submit resume and a cover letter detailing how your qualifications align with our needs via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 PM on November 15, 2019. Please include LGBTQ Capacity Manager Position in the subject line.