The SSI Coordinator will lead SHIFT NC in building and enhancing resources, materials, trainings, and technical assistance to create supportive school (or similar) environments for LGBTQ youth. The SSI Coordinator will oversee the state-wide implementation of the following pre-developed trainings: How to be an Ally to LGBTQ Youth and Supporting Transgender Students: A Primer for Administrators. The SSI Coordinator will work closely with partners to help support priority school districts as part of grant-funded efforts. This is a full-time, statewide position based in Durham, NC.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manage contracted work; plan and benchmark tasks to ensure completion of project deliverables
- Regularly and effectively communicate with partners to coordinate trainings and provide technical assistance.
- Manage the cadre of Ally trainers: create trainer calendar; provide ongoing professional development, including: providing prep and debriefs of trainings as needed; developing, scheduling, and leading quarterly online-video conferences.
- Assess unmet needs for better serving vulnerable youth in school settings; develop additional resources accordingly
- Develop and maintain strategic partnerships at the state and local levels to support the mission and maximize resources to support LBGTQ youth.
- Stay up to date with local and federal news and legislation affecting LGBTQ individuals.
- Grow internal capacity with regard to LGBTQ inclusivity.
- Submit conference proposals related to the Supportive Schools Initiative; lead breakout sessions
- 20% travel to facilitate trainings across the state (including occasional overnight travel)
Knowledge and Skill:
- Trained as a trainer for How to Be an Ally for LGBTQ Youth workshop
- Experience working with public schools/school systems
- Experience as trainer with an understanding of a variety of teaching methods
- Expertise and experience working on issues related to LGBTQ youth
- Ability to exercise utmost diplomacy when interacting with external partners and stakeholders.
- Comfort with public speaking to large audiences
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and remain organized.
- Expert engagement skills and ability to nurture and sustain relationships with key stakeholders.
- Ability to communicate (oral and written) with diverse audiences
- Strong understanding and buy-in of the theory and applicability of the Systems-Change Model
- Strong understanding and buy in of the theory and applicability of Adult Learning Theory
- Experience working with marginalized populations, communities of faith, and those of varying political views.
- Strong commitment to SHIFT NC’s mission and vision
- Welcomes, recognizes, and appreciates others’ suggestions, points of view and contributions while working to create a work environment that is inclusive and collaborative.
- Actively participates in collaborative efforts while demonstrating respect for colleagues.
- Commitment to equity, inclusion, and social justice in driving team and organizational results.
- MA/MS in Social Work/Counseling (equivalent mental health fields) strongly preferred
- Expertise on federal and state policies relevant to LGBTQ youth in schools
- Experience with Motivational Interviewing theory and practice
- At least 3 years’ experience in adolescent development, sexual health issues (including HIV/STI, pregnancy prevention)
- 3 years’ experience working with interdisciplinary teams
This position is currently funded through September 2018. It is a full time, 40 hours per week position requiring travel.
Please submit resume and cover letter to Sally Swanson, firstname.lastname@example.org by close of business Monday, November 27, 2017.
About SHIFT NC: SHIFT NC (Sexual Health Initiatives For Teens) - formerly the Adolescent Pregnancy Prevention Campaign of North Carolina - is leading North Carolina to improve adolescent and young adult sexual health. After 30 years of success in adolescent pregnancy prevention, we've expanded our scope to include adolescent pregnancy, HIV and STIs, sexuality, healthy development, relationships, and access to care. Learn more at shiftnc.org.
SHIFT NC offers equal opportunity to and prohibits the discrimination against or harassment of anyone based on race, color, creed, religion, national origin, political affiliation, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability, handicapping condition, or other reasons prohibited by law. This nondiscrimination and opportunity policy extends to employment, membership, board service and leadership, volunteerism, and participation in any of the organizations programs or services.